2020-21 Car Line Procedures - Student Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures
ArtSpace car line procedures have been developed with the safety and welfare of our students in mind. Please ensure that student morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up runs smoothly by following the procedures outlined below.
Morning Drop-Off Procedures
- All students (all grades) are dropped off in front of the school in the morning between 7:30 and 8:15am.
- School begins at 8:15am. Students arriving after 8:15am are tardy and must be walked into school and signed in as tardy by an adult. Tardy students may not enter the school without an adult.
- Car line route: Drivers are directed to turn off Hwy 70 onto Reger or Rowland Avenues, circle behind the school and approach the school on Sherwood Road.
- Park & walk: Families may park in the gravel lot and walk their child across the street to the front of the school. Children must be escorted by an adult across Sherwood Road at designated, staffed crosswalks.
- DO NOT TURN FROM HWY 70 ONTO SHERWOOD ROAD to drop students off in the morning. There is no safe way for cars turning in from Hwy 70 to enter the school’s front parking lot while drop off or pick up is in process and a dangerous situation is created when traffic backs up on Hwy 70.
- While waiting in the carline, your child should be packed and ready to exit the car quickly.
- Students may not be dropped off before 7:30am.
- Students may not be dropped off anywhere except the front of the school.
- Staff members on traffic or carline duty must remain focused and may not engage in conversation or impromptu conferences.
Afternoon Pick-Up Procedures
Note: Each family will be given a plastic tag to hang on the rearview mirror of their vehicle. Please use a sharpie or marker to record the first name(s) and grade level(s) of your child/ children. The tag helps facilitate an efficient dismissal.
- School dismissal runs 3:10pm - 3:35pm. Parents arriving before 3:10pm should remain in their cars. Any students being picked up early must be signed out in the front office. See below for Early Pick Up guidance.
- Dismissal car line route is the same as morning drop off. Drivers are directed to circle around the school using Reger or Rowland Avenues and approach the school on Sherwood Road.
- Do not turn from Hwy 70 onto Sherwood Road.
- DO NOT BLOCK PRIVATE DRIVEWAYS while waiting in the car line. Please respect our neighbors property.
- For safety, drivers must stay in one line until the last private driveway is passed. Staff will direct the creation of two lines at the rear of the school building. Drivers should not attempt to cut around cars in the car line and should not cross over the double yellow line.
- Park & Walk: Parents who park and walk to pick up their children at the front of the building must proceed to the designated area. The staff on duty will radio for the student while parents wait in the designated area. Parents should not loiter in front of the building as this disrupts the flow of the car line and hinders visibility for on duty staff
- Students are dismissed from two locations: the theatre side door and the front dismissal door.
- 5th through 8th grade students will exit from the theatre side door near the rear of the building. Staff will be directing traffic. At the start of the school’s sidewalk, drivers picking up at the theatre should pull to the curb and to allow a second line of drivers picking up in the front to form. Once students have been picked up, drivers will pull back onto Sherwood and go straight to the Hwy 70 intersection. Drivers picking up at the theatre do not continue to the front of the school.
- Kindergarten through 4th grade students will exit from the front of the school. Drivers will stay on Sherwood and pull forward as instructed by the staff members directing the line.
- Drivers picking up from both grade spans will pick up all their riders in the front of the school. In this case, the older students will be sent to the front of the school to be dismissed with younger students.
Early Pick Up
- Students needing to leave school for any reason before 3:10pm must be signed out by an adult in the front office.
- Parents are asked not to pick students up early unless absolutely necessary.
- Prior notification is needed for checkouts between 2:50pm and 3:10pm.
- When picking students up early, allow 15 minutes for the student to be located and to arrive in the front office.