Inclement Weather Procedures
One of the processes below will be employed if our area experiences inclement weather which makes travel to or from school hazardous. The administration will consider multiple factors when making determinations regarding school closings. We will always attempt to make decisions that are best for our entire community.
If school is in session, and you do not think it is safe to transport your child(ren) to school, please keep them at home and send a note the next day for the absence to be excused.
Morning Inclement Weather
In the event of a delay or cancellation, information will be communicated in the following ways:
- A phone call and/or text will be sent from our school messenger system to the contact information that is on file with the school.
- The message on the school phone will announce our status by 6:45am. Call (828) 298-2787.
- School status will be reported to WLOS as the primary media outlet. (Note: Do not follow “Buncombe County” or “Asheville City" information. Look/Listen for ArtSpace Charter School specifically.) Download the WLOS app and enable settings to get push notifications for ArtSpace.
- The school's Facebook page will be updated with the operating status.
In the event of questionable weather, families should refer to above methods of communication to confirm school is open before leaving for school. A late opening is based upon the assumption that the weather will clear or the snow/ice will be sufficiently melted in time for a morning commute. However, there are no guarantees the weather will cooperate with such plans. If the school needs to be closed, families will receive a second call from the school messenger system and other methods updated accordingly.
TWO HOUR DELAY
- Students should arrive between 9:45-10:15 AM
- Do not drop students off before 9:45 AM
- Classes will begin at 10:15
- No morning care
THREE HOUR DELAY
- Students should arrive between 10:45-11:15 AM
- Do not drop students off before 10:45 AM
- Classes will begin at 11:15
- No morning care
Closing During the School Day
If we must close once the school day has started, we will:
- Call parents/guardians to inform them of our intention to close. All children will be supervised until they are picked up. Any time that a parent or guardian feels the need to pick up their child/children due to the weather, they are free to do so.
- Change the message on the school phone (298-2787) to reflect the early closing
- Contact WLOS
- All Encore (after school activities) will be cancelled in the event of an early or all day closing.
To ensure that parents can be contacted, is imperative student emergency contact information is correct in the school office.